The quiet time is approaching with giant strides. While thick snowflakes wrap the Gastein Valley in a bright white blanket, preparations for the truly magical Advent in Dorfgastein are already in full swing. A large number of events accompany the pre-Christmas season with atmospheric and idyllic highlights. But there is also a lot to experience between Christmas and New Year.
Three highlights in Gastein Advent
Small but nice: Advent in beautiful Dorfgastein relies on quiet understatement with a few selected events and a special countdown to Christmas Eve.
- A village as an advent calendar: As a child, there is probably nothing better than opening a new window on the Advent calendar day after day and, rewarded with pictures and / or chocolate, counting down the time until the presents are presented. During Advent in Dorfgastein, one of 24 windows decorated for Christmas opens every day for families and businesses in the village. The colorful windows can be admired until Dreikönig.
- Krampus hype: Deeply rooted in tradition, this custom can be experienced in a refreshing originality. On December 6th, more than 100 groups move from house to house from 8.30 p.m. They reward the good and drive away the bad.
- Advent market: The community park will be the scene of the friendly Christmas market on December 14th from 12 noon. Regional products and handicrafts want to be bought while the Anklöckler, Weisenbläser and the shepherd’s game of the elementary school accompany the event.
Around the turn of the year
But even after Christmas, the end of December in Dorfgastein still has two small event highlights to offer, which should not be missed under any circumstances:
- Ovenproof: Shortly after Christmas, on December 27th, many small stoves are lit from 5 p.m. Stories, serenades, mulled wine and punch accompany an atmospheric, contemplative evening.
- Winter solstice: An evening torchlight hike takes you to the scene of the large solstice fire, which lights up the night sky on December 29th from 8 p.m. The days are getting longer again, the old year is drawing to a close.
Between Advent in Dorfgastein, contemplative Christmas time and the atmospheric New Year, December in the Gastein Valley has many highlights to offer. As a Steindlwirt guest you are of course there live and only a short walk away from these and other exciting events. We would be happy to create one for you non-binding offer for your next stay!
Copyright photo: Gasteinertal Tourismus GmbH, Marktl Photography